Friday, August 7, 2015

Michael Dennis



MEETING THE DUKE

I just got a dragonfly stoned
not the behaviour one expects
from a man nearing sixty, but fuck it

all four wings of the transparent giant fluttered
when the first waft of blue smoke
rolled over his compound eyes
he didn’t seem to mind
so I shared the rest of my joint
with my newfound helicopterfriend

we were both on the deck of a cottage
on a quiet lake on a quiet day
we both watched the water below us
flat as liquid gets, the wind dead

I doubt we were looking
for the same things

eventually he turned to face me
or at least toward the smoke
I named him Duke
as he flew away sideways



Michael Dennis is a poet from Ottawa, Ontario, who has published widely. Most recent publication: Talking Giraffes (Phafours, Ottawa, 2015). He also produces a blog called Today's Book of Poetry where he talks about books he likes. Visit michaeldennispoet.blogspot.ca.


3 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the summer when I was five and was caught up in swarm of dragonflies in the Alberta badlands — I thought they were miniature Teradactyls trying to eat me... Wonderful poem, Michael. Thanks for memory stimulus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work--I like this a lot.
    Steve V

    ReplyDelete